What type of flood insurance program with the NFIP
is offered to an Outer Banks Homeowner?
The NFIP Dwelling Form offers an Outer Banks Homeowner coverage for:
- Building Property up to $250,000
- Personal Property (contents) up to $100,000.
The NFIP encourages buyers to purchase both types of coverage. Also keep in mind that your mortgage company can require that you purchase a certain amount of flood insurance coverage for your Outer Banks Home.
What is covered by Flood Insurance – and What’s Not
Insured Under Building Property:
- The Insured Building and its Foundation
- Electrical and Plumbing Systems
- Central Air Conditioning equipment, Furnaces and Water Heaters
- Refrigerators, Cook Stoves and Built in appliances such as Dishwashers
- Permanently installed carpeting over an unfinished floor
- Permanently installed paneling, wall board book cases and cabinets
- Window Blinds
- Detached Garages(up to 10% of building property coverage)
- Detached Buildings ( other than garages)
- Debris removal
Insured Under Personal Property:
- Personal Property such as clothes, furniture and electrical equipment
- Portable and Window Air Conditioners
- Portable Microwave Ovens and Portable Dishwashers
- Carpets not included in Building Coverage
- Clothes Washers and Dryers
- Food Freezers and the food in them
- Certain valuable Items such as original artwork and furs (up to $2,500).
What is not insured by either Building Property or Personal Property coverage
- Damage caused by moisture, mildew, or mold that could have been avoided by the property owner.
- Currency, precious metals, and valuable papers such as stock certificates.
- Property and belongings outside of a building such as trees, plants, wells, septic systems, walks, decks, patios, fences, seawalls, hot tubs, and swimming pools.
- Living expenses such as temporary housing.
- Financial losses caused by business interruption or loss of use of insured property.
- Most self-propelled vehicles such as cars, including their parts (see Section IV.5 in your policy).
How do I get NFIP flood insurance for my Outer Banks Home?
NFIP flood insurance is sold through private insurance companies and agents here on the OBX . Companies underwrite policies and process claims while the Federal Government retains responsibility for underwriting losses.
Contact your Outer Banks Property Realtor today for information regarding Insurance Brokers on the Outer Banks Beach.