When is the best time of year for fishing in the OBX? Fall is the best time of the year for fishing on the Outer Banks. One of my most favorite fish to eat in the OBX is the Striper also called Rockfish or Striped bass. The Striper season begins October 1 in the sound. Ocean striper fishing begins December through February. Off shore fishing rates are reduced in the winter months but you can also catch them in the surf if they move closer to shore.
Outer Banks Fishing Licenses
A license is required to fish on the Outer Banks. There are the following exceptions:
- Children under 16 are not required to have the license for fishing on the Outer Banks. If your child is under the age of 13 they must wear a life jacket while on a boat and it is recommended that they wear one while fishing from a dock unless they are experienced swimmers.
- charter fishing
- Individuals do not need a license to fish on a charter boat, headboat or pier on the Outer Banks. They are covered by the blanket license of the owners.
Where do I get a fishing license on the Outer Banks?
In Dare County, NC there are many places to purchase a fishing license.
- Kitty Hawk: Walmart 5400 N. Croatan Hwy.
- Kitty Hawk: TW’s Bait & Tackle 3864 N. Croatan Hwy.
- Kill Devil Hills: Kmart 1901 N. Croatan Hwy.
- Nags Head: TW’s Bait & Tackle 3022 S. Croatan Hwy.
- Manteo: Manteo Marine 411 S. Hwy 64
- Wanchese: Division of Marine Fisheries 604 Harbor Rd
- Frisco: Frisco Shopping Center 53610 Hwy 12
Outer Banks Fishing Piers
The fishing piers in the Outer Banks usually open the first weekend of April and close the last weekend of November. Jenettes Pier in Nags Head is open year round and an annual pass includes admission to the Aquarium. Piers in Dare County
- Kitty Hawk Fishing Pier – 8am to 10pm
- Avalon Fishing Pier – 5am to 12am
(252) 441-7494 2111 N. Virginia Dare Trail, Kill Devil Hills https://www.facebook.com/avalonpier
- Nags Head Fishing Pier – Open 24 hours,
(252) 441-5141 MP 12 http://www.nagsheadpier.com/
- Jennette’s Pier – Open year round in season 5am – midnight
(252)-255-1501 7223 S. Virginia Dare Trail Nags Head http://www.jennettespier.net/
- Outer Banks Fishing Pier 6 am – 12 am. Closed Sunday